Doing business with the government and corporates ain’t for sissies. Have a strategy before going in – first for getting work, then for delivery/execution of work, then for reporting (Monitoring & Evaluating) and lastly for cash flow whilst the paint dries. They [government and corporates] were never built to deal with small and micro businesses and won’t not be changing anytime soon.
- You WILL run out of money.
- You WILL have to pay suppliers upfront.
- Employees WANT their salaries standard.
- Your family MUST be taken care of or else it will fall apart.
- Be in a position to wait 6 months without payment with everyone else paid up.
The above 5 are just a guideline. Sometimes it’s worse, at other times it’s good.
The No.1 skill you need to have is relationship-building. Know who signs the cheques. Know who releases it and befriend the gate-keepers. Also, diversify your client pool and save money, lots of it.
It might save you from anxiety and stress… and weight-loss… your hairline too!
Wait: Did I mention the craze voices in your head whilst all of this is going on? Rest assured, uzohlanya kancane. Guaranteed!