Had a hectic 2018 and couldn’t keep up with all our stories? Here are the most popular entrepreneurship stories on SME South Africa for the year.
What does the list tell us about the year that was? Lots actually, firstly that everyone has their eye firmly on how Patrice Motsepe and his latest project, TymeDigital, are faring.
There was also interest in everyday entrepreneurs who are making a go at unusual and innovative ideas, like Lethabo Mokoena, founder of Walk Fresh, a township-based shoe cleaning business.
The list, once again, proves our readers are serious about perfecting their business skills with a couple of our guides making into the top 10.
1. SA Billionaire Patrice Motsepe Buys 100% Stake in Digital Bank TymeDigital
2018 was the year that digital entrants like Discovery Bank and Bank Zero shook up the banking industry, but none captured the public’s imagination more than the acquisition of TymeDigital by South African billionaire, Patrice Motsepe.
The bank has been trialing its operations as it works towards an official launch. It aims to provide affordable and accessible banking services through a growing network of partners, including Pick n Pay. Targeted client segments include unbanked and under-served clients as well as small and medium enterprises.
2. Five Things You Should Know About Connie and Shona Ferguson’s Growing TV and Film Empire
Find out about the power couple behind Ferguson Films which has produced multiple series for Mzansi Magic, which includes Rockville, iGazi, The Gift, The Throne, The Herd, The Queen and The Imposter.
3. How This Township Shoe-Cleaning Business Became a Premium Brand and is Collaborating with Nike and Kiwi
The story of how Lethabo Mokoena, founder of Walk Fresh is helping to change the township narrative and is finding innovative ways to keep customers coming back. Read more
4. A Guide to Some of the Biggest Enterprise Supplier Development Programmes Available.
A full list of South Africa’s biggest ESD programmes – from retail and mining to transport and financial services. Read more
5. What to Consider When Choosing a Structure for Your New Business
Advice for choosing the optimal legal structure for your business. Read more
6. Here Are SA’s Top-paid Jobs and In-demand Skills and Trends for 2018
2018 trends for top-paid jobs and most in-demand skills. Read more
7. A List of Investors that Back SA Startups
Sources for investment capital for African businesses are growing beyond family and government funding. Here’s a list of funders investing in African startups. Read more
8. A Guide to 100% Local Crowdfunding Platforms – 3 Options you Should Consider
As more platforms have come into the South African market – each offering a diverse range of benefits, this is a look at three platforms – Uprise.Africa, Thundafund and The People’s Fund. Read more
9. Five Women in Farming you Need to Know about
From honey to cattle farming – here’s how these women farmers are shaking up the sector. Read more
10. Download the SME landscape report 2018/2019
This year SME South Africa launched the SME Landscape Report An Assessment of South Africa’s SME Landscape: Challenges, Opportunities, Risks & Next Steps’ 2018/2019. The report offers a comprehensive assessment of the state of SMEs in South Africa, with a focus on the key challenges, opportunities, risks and proposed next steps. Read more