On Monday 12 November, Minister of Small Business Development, Ms Lindiwe Zulu will officially open South Africa’s Global Entrepreneurship Week.
The Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW), hosted during one week each November, is a celebration of innovators and job creators who launch startups that bring ideas to life, drive economic growth and expand human welfare, according to the incubator, 22 on Sloane.
This year GEW is hosted during Monday 12 November to Friday 16 November 2018.
Here’s a list of things to expect hosted at different venues in South Africa:
Meeting industry experts
- The Department of Small Business Development (DSBD) in partnership with GEN Africa and various other private and public sector partners, will host 2018 GEW activities from Monday 12th November at the 22 on Sloane start-up campus. The event aims to attract start-ups, accelerator support network and policymakers. Apply to attend events of GEW at 22 on Sloane, here.
- On Monday, the 67 CEOs Foundation will host a Ecosystem Connect, where you can engage with stakeholders from local municipalities, provincial- and private sectors. On Tuesday, the 67 CEOs Foundation has a 67 CEOs Women session, which is said to be attended by inspiring entrepreneurs and investors. You must RSVP via Quicket.co.za; the event admission is free. It is hosted at Workshop 17, 138 West Street, Sandton, Johannesburg.
Corporates engaging with SMEs
- The Enterpriseroom Hub is hosting a series called “Doing Business With” where companies like Discovery, IBM, Old Mutual, Coca-Cola Beverages South Africa and Frigoglass, are going to engage with SMEs on opportunities in their supply and value chains. It takes place daily from Monday 12 November to Friday 16 November at the Enterpriseroom Hub, Jan Smuts Avenue in Parktown North, Johannesburg. You can RSVP to this link.
- On Monday, Nedbank will host a Masterclass on Ethics and Compliance at the Enterpriseroom Hub and on Tuesday, the masterclass will be on the types of financing for different stages of business.
- Nedbank will also host a Masterclass on Thursday 15 November, discussing its products and solutions for small businesses at the Enterpriseroom Hub. The event takes place in Jan Smuts Avenue in Parktown North, Johannesburg. You can RSVP to this link.
- At the 22 on Sloane in Bryanston, Johannesburg the Industrial Development Corporation will lead a Masterclass for youth on the opportunities in the agro-processing and manufacturing. This will be held on Tuesday. Apply to attend events of GEW at 22 on Sloane, here.
Digitalisation in business
- The incubation hub The Box Shop is hosting a seminar on Thursday 16 November in Soweto, called Digitalisation of Entrepreneurship. The event will discuss the application of technology within the creative sector; the digital business environment and how to adopt as a business; accessing export markets using digital innovations; and positioning your business for future innovations. You can RSVP via email to email@example.com.
- At 22 on Sloane in Bryanston, on Monday there’s going to be a Launch and Policy Day. One of the sessions is themed Technology an enabler to the burgeoning youth employment crisis. Apply to attend events of GEW at 22 on Sloane, here.
Pitching and mentorship sessions
- On Friday, there’s a pitching and mentorship sessions at the 67 CEOs Foundation event. The theme of the event is Business model, idea challenge and demo day. You must RSVP via Quicket.co.za; the event admission is free. It is hosted at Workshop 17, 138 West Street, Sandton, Johannesburg.
- On Thursday, there’s a 67 CEOs Youth event, called Shaping the next generation of entrepreneurs.
- From Monday to Friday at the 22 on Sloane in Bryanston, Johannesburg there will be speed networking sessions. Apply to attend events of GEW at 22 on Sloane, here.
You can follow the conversation on Global Entrepreneurship Week via Twitter using the hashtag #GEW2018.