SIGN UP for our newsletter to get the latest updates on business opportunities and news to help you on your entrepreneurship journey. IT’S FREE. Sign up here
Please note: Visit the organisation’s website for more information.
Call for applications
*** FUNDING ***
(Green sector) Green Outcomes Fund
The ZAR488 million (US$26.9 million) Green Outcomes Fund launched this year to incentivise fund managers to invest in small, medium-sized and microenterprises (SMMEs) that are able to generate verifiable green outcomes and jobs in the energy, water, waste, infrastructure and land-management sectors. More information here
(All) Willowton Group with Al Baraka Bank
Willowton Group has announced the launch of a R100m fund to provide relief to ailing small businesses – the Giving For Hope Foundation fund, through Al Baraka, will seek to provide loans of up to R1m to qualifying small businesses. Loan applications should be made to https://givingforhope.co.za/.
Apply To Get Your Business Listed On the SAveabusiness COVID-19 Relief Fund. DJ Black Coffee, for example, teamed up with SAveabusiness that is dedicated to granting relief to various small South African businesses in need, to raise funds for small businesses.
(Tech) The Innovation Fund for Mobile Internet Adoption and Digital Inclusion
The fund will back startups in Africa and Asia that help to increase mobile internet adoption and usage. The fund will offer grants an equity-free grant of between £100,000 and £250,000 to scale your innovation over a 15- to 18-month period.
*** BUSINESS PROPOSALS ***
(Tech) The Innovation Hub
A call for submissions for African solutions that address the direct and indirect societal effects of Covid-19. The Hub is offering successful applicants the opportunity to test, develop, incubate and commercialise their solutions. Submissions can be made online at www.openix.co.za.
(Youth) Applications for the Youth Business Relief Fund
Apply online or by e-mail submission. For any general information, contact email@example.com
(All) Propella Township Incubator
The aim of this initiative is appoint prospective suppliers to provide architecture and interior design, space, retrofitting, furnishing and fittings for the new Propella Township Incubator (PTI). For more information, visit the Seda website.
SEE ALSO: Legal Advice for Handling Contracts
*** COMPETITIONS AND AWARDS ***
(All) Jack Ma Foundation’s Africa Netpreneur Prize
This prize will select 10 finalists to pitch for a share of an overall prize pool of US$1.5 million.
(Agriculture) 2020 GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize
This is an annual competition to identify innovative entrepreneurial ventures in the agrifood sector founded by young people across the African continent. Applications can be submitted at http://gogettaz.africa.
(Tech) GAP Innovation Competition
The competition looking for innovators, researchers and entrepreneurs that are working on novel technologies that will improve the efficiency of government service delivery, increase the competitiveness of the local economy and enhance the quality of life of ordinary citizens.Winners of GAP 2020 will share in seed funding and cash prizes, as well as receive incubation services.
(Women entrepreneurs) SANTAM Women of the Future Awards 2020
In association with FAIRLADY & TRUE LOVE, Santam will honour women entrepreneurs. Prizes include R80 000 in cash to the SANTAM Woman of the Future; R50 000 each, in cash, to the SANTAM Rising Star and SANTAM Social Entrepreneur. Apply here
(All) EOY’s BUSINESS/PARTNERS Entrepreneur of the Year®
The awards recognises South African entrepreneurs in the small and medium enterprises (SMEs) sector. The prizes are worth a total value of R2 million, which includes cash prizes of over R500 000 coupled with mentorship support.
(Tech) Mest Africa Challenge
Win up to $50k equity investment and become a part of the MEST community. Get more information here
*** INCUBATION PROGRAMMES ***
- 22 On Sloane Incubator Program (Health Tech, EdTech or FinTech Startup in Africa).
- LeadTech Incubation Program – opportunity for women tech entrepreneurs to test, develop and grow their innovative solutions.
- SA’s Intergovernmental Fintech Working Group launches an innovation hub. For more information on the IFWG Innovation Hub visit www.ifwg.co.za.
- GIBS Entrepreneurship Development Academy hosts a free 8-month #GrowYourBiz programme in Mamelodi (GP), Chatsworth (KZN) & Botshabelo (FS) for female entrepreneurs. The program starts in June. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
*** COVID-19 ONLINE RESOURCES ***
Type of resource: an online platform that helps business owners apply and gain access to business finance. Finfind has an up-to-date database of more than 530 SMME finance offerings from the public and private sector funders in South Africa.
- Get information on COVID-19 assistance and debt relief solutions for small business owners. (Please note: you will be required to fill in a form with your personal details including your company name, company registration number, turnover for the past 12 months, and amount of debt relief/funding required.) Link here
Type of resource: Webcast that offers legal information for businesses during Covid-19 lockdown.
- Lessons that employers can learn from experiences in China.
- The restrictions employers should consider as to medical inquiries or quarantine.
- The latest on the legislative framework and temporary measures regarding pay, especially during quarantine, illness, or temporary shutdown. Link here
Types of resources: Webinars, Guidelines for teams, ways to manage your business through a recession- business, leadership & management.
- Endeavor Presents: Leading Through Crises with Endeavor Global Board Member and LinkedIn Co-founder, Reid Hoffman.
- Raising Capital in a Recession.
- Xapo Workplace Guide.
Type of resource: Advice for businesses on reshaping post Covid-19.
- Prioritize people safety and continuous engagement.
- Communicate with relevant stakeholders.
- Maximize the use of government support policies.
Types of resources: Insights, tips, surveys and critical information on how to combat Covid-19.
- Get financial support.
- Join our client zone.
- Use #combatcovid badge.
Type of resource: Podcasts by #EntrepreneursAsk, where tough questions about how to manage your business in the time of Covid-19, are answered by experts like Allon Raiz.
- What is the new normal after Covid-19.
- How do I lead my business during the Covid-19 crises.
Types of resources: Information, online events and downloadables on how to manage small businesses through Covid-19.
- Your business finances and Covid-19.
- Your well-being during a pandemic.
- Your network and Covid-19. Link here
Types of resources: Where SMEs can get funding.
- Independent funding: Motsepe Foundation fund.
- Government funds & initiatives: Government Request for Proposals.
- Bank repayment relief. Link here
Types of resources: Business support and empowerment for entrepreneurs.
- Find local organisations to help you.
- List your business and find support in your area.
- Inspiring talks by experts.
- Access to tools and Apps. Link here
Types of resources: ‘Gig to Earn’ campaign for artists and musicians
Musicians can get the JOOX app from any app store and sign-up. They can then apply for a booking, where time and date for a 30 minute performance will be confirmed. Performers will receive R1500 per performance.
*** IMPORTANT GOVERNMENT CONTACTS ***
- Regulations and latest amendments to the regulations [LEVEL 4] is found in the Government Gazette.
– Apply for your Essential Service Businesses certificate, your company registration, tax registration, domain name registration, B-BBEE certificates, compensation fund registration, UIF registration and business accounts on the BizPortal. It is a platform developed by the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC)
– Visit the website: www.bizportal.gov.za or call 086 100 2472.
– Apply on smmesa.gov.za for the SMME Business Growth Resilience Facility, SMME Debt Relief Scheme, or the COVID Finance Relief Application, here.
– Visit the website to complete application(s) or contact the helpline number: 0860 663 7867.
Department: Small Business Development
– Apply for debt relief funds for SMMEs such as SMME Business Growth Resilience Facility, SMME Debt Relief Scheme, and the COVID Finance Relief Application.
– Visit the website www.dsbd.gov.za or contact 0861 843 384
or via email email@example.com.
Small Enterprise Development Agency
– Get the latest on tenders, applications for proposals and also, e-services available on this website.
– Visit the website: www.seda.org.za or contact the National Information Centre at 0860-103-703 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Youth Development Agency (NYDA)
– Apply for the Youth Micro Enterprise Relief Fund or find out about the campaign called Young Mind Unwind, or get the latest on training programmes or funding opportunities.
– Visit the nyda.gov.za website or contact 087 158 6345/ 5738 or email email@example.com.
*** FREE FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT TEMPLATES ***
Keeping evidence of all your financial transactions such as receipts, statements, invoices, purchase orders, etc. can help you if you need to apply for finance – as many lenders want to see evidence of proper record keeping.
Here are templates SME South Africa has available for you:
1. Income Statement (PDF)
An income statement provides a recent picture of the company’s revenues and expenses and overall profitability, it is important as it can help business owners make important financial decisions.
2. Cash Flow forecast (PDF)
The goal of cash flow management is to ensure that the business has enough cash at any point in time in order that the business is able fund payments it is required to make. A cash flow forecast forecast can help you predict what is going to happen to cash flow, e.g potential future pitfalls to make sure the business has sufficient funds to survive.
3. Finding Your Breakeven Point (PDF)
The break-even point determines the amount of sales needed to achieve a net income of zero. Helpful when d the number of units that need to be sold in order to cover the cost or make a profit.
4. How Much to Charge for Your Services (PDF)
The most important thing for business owners to consider when setting their prices is value for money as well as other costs such as labour, production and logistics costs.
SEE ALSO: COVID-19 Cash Flow Guide